Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why having a hobby is no longer a low-tech activity


I must confess, I am a big fan of gadgets and technology. I am always finding ways to incorporate my smartphone, tablet, computer and of course, online activity into my hobbies. In most cases the relationship between a hobby and technology is pretty obvious such as photography or video games. Other cases, such as growing your own vegetables or composting, are not high-tech but rather hands-on, kind-of-messy activities.

In the past, as unusual as it may sounds, I have learned about technology and social media more by helping people not so techno-savvy. Technology should be thought of as a way to simplify things. In this case it's interesting how my Mom and Dad, not very comfortable with technology and social media can find a way to enjoy new or old hobbies and share them. Starting this year everyone at home (mom, dad, 2 brothers and me) have been using tablets. It has been remarkable seeing my parents learning how to use them to get tin touch with me and their grandchildren that live away. They also keep track of friends and family on Facebook, read emails, and keep up with the news.

However in recent weeks, since I introduced my mom to Pinterest she has taken social media sharing to a whole new level. She found others who enjoy doing the same hobbies she loves and she's now excited to learn new crafts, recipes, DIY projects and other activities. She has found groups of people passionate about cooking and other activities she does and has found a channel to share her creations through photo or video. Ultimately technology is meant to empower us to do more or to be more practical. Social Media give us the opportunity to have a voice and to connect with others regardless the topic, language or culture.


In my case, when it comes to growing vegetables and composting I have also found ways to use technology. For example, I found an App that helps me keep track of my harvest. I enter the type of vegetable and date it was planted and then it tells me what's the proper water and feeding schedule and when I should harvest it. I also like to share the progress of my garden through social media and look for articles and information about gardening and sustainability programs or initiatives in my city and neighbourhood.


Forums, blogs and social media are great places to find other like-minded people that enjoy sharing and providing support to others. I post photos of my garden on Facebook and Instagramusing my cell when I am working on it. I use apps to find compost facilities or find out where to buy worms.     

Technology has changed the way we interact, share, and obtain information. Suddenly we are now able to share with others, sometimes across the world, those fun activities we enjoy doing. This world becomes a bit smaller when we find out that others just like us are also excited about those little things that fill our Sunday evenings.

By all means let's keep sharing our hobbies and use technology to assist us with information, improving our methods and help us find others that also enjoy our pastimes. Life is much more fun when we have hobbies!

No comments:

Post a Comment